[It may have been a slow going, but I believe that these arrests are going to start happening faster and faster. t]
April 15, 2011
Judges sentenced Ante Gotovina to 24 years and Mladen Markac to 18 years in jail for crimes including murder, persecution and plunder.
The men helped to plan an operation to retake Croatia's Krajina region and force out its Serbian population.
The war crimes tribunal cleared another defendant, Ivan Cermak, of all charges.
The BBC's Mark Lowen in Zagreb says crowds who had gathered to watch the tribunal's hearing on big screens in the Croatian capital booed and hissed when the judge announced the guilty verdicts.
The men are regarded as heroes by many in Croatia.
Gotovina and Markac were convicted of a range of war crimes and crimes against humanity committed as their forces retook the Krajina region, which had been under Serb control since the start of the war in 1991.
About 200,000 ethnic Serbs were driven from Croatia in 1995 and at least 150 were killed.
Those defending Gotovina said he did all he could to prevent his troops carrying out crimes during the operation.
But judges at The Hague rejected their claims.
Did you like what you read here? If so, please be kind enough to donate to support the cause (click HERE). It takes time and money to create a website like this and I love doing it so anything would be very much appreciated. And I’ll personally email you a free thank-you gift in return – my 214 page ebook about debt, credit, bankruptcy, investing and much more!