[As per KOS, there’s a lot more going on in Yemen then they’re leading us on to believe. Tony]
JOSH GERSTEIN & MIKE ALLEN
President Barack Obama said Tuesday that the United States will halt all transfers of Guantanamo prisoners to Yemen for now, but insisted he is not wavering in his commitment to shut down the prison for terror suspects.
“Given the unsettled situation, I’ve spoken to the attorney general and we’ve agreed that we will not be transferring additional detainees back to Yemen at this time,” Obama told reporters following a meeting at the White House with 20 top security advisers to discuss why the U.S. government failed to prevent the attempted aircraft bombing on Christmas Day.
“Make no mistake, we will close the Guantanamo prison, which has damaged our national security interests and become a tremendous recruiting tool for Al Qaida,” Obama said. “We will close the prison in a manner that keeps the American people safe and secure.”
Obama has said the Christmas Day bombing plot was hatched in Yemen, an extremist haven on the Arabian Peninsula. The U.S. Embassy there closed Sunday and Monday because of a terrorist threat. The suspect in the attack, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, has reportedly told the FBI that he crafted the plot with Al Qaeda operatives in Yemen. In addition, the Al Qaeda branch there claimed responsibility for the attack.
Immediately after taking office, Obama had pledged to close Guantanamo Bay prison by this month, but that plan has been delayed by a series of setbacks, including resistance in Congress to bringing the prisoners to the United States and difficulties finding other nations willing to take the men.
Yemeni nationals make up nearly half of the remaining 198 prisoners at Guantanamo, and part of Obama’s plan to close Gitmo involved sending many of them home.
White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs acknowledged that the decision not to send any more of them back to Yemen soon could mean that an added number of them will have to be transferred to a new prison for former Guantanamo detainees that the administration hopes to set up in Thomson, Ill. There was never a plan to transfer the Yemenis as a group back to Yemen, White House aides said.
The suspension of transfers to Yemen will hold for the foreseeable future, as long as the current unstable security situation there remains, the aides said.
In recent days, the administration has sent mixed signals on the issue of releasing Guantanamo inmates to Yemen. During appearances on Sunday television talk shows, White House counterterrorism and homeland security adviser John Brennan brushed aside questions about a halt to repatriations to Yemen.
“We haven’t, you know, stopped the process as far as dealing with them,” Brennan said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “Many of them are going to be prosecuted, some under the Article III courts, and some under — in military courts. Some of these individuals are going to be transferred back to Yemen at the right time and the right pace and in the right way.”
“We are looking at it every day,” Brennan said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “We’re not going to make any decisions that are going to put people at risk. We will decide and determine when we should send additional people back.”
Last month, the Obama administration sent six Guantanamo prisoners home to Yemen. However, that was prior to the attempted Christmas Day bombing.
While Republicans have long been critical of Obama for transferring prisoners to Yemen, the issue became more politically problematic for the White House last week when key Democrats like Senate Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) called for a stop to such transfers. Thompson also said members of Congress were likely to have objections to bringing the detainees to the U.S.
A total of seven prisoners have been returned to Yemen since Obama took office last January. Under President George W. Bush, 13 men were sent from Guantanamo to Yemen.
Last week, administration officials speaking on condition of anonymity told news outlets, including POLITICO, that no more prisoners would be sent to Yemen in the coming months. One official told The New York Times that such a decision was actually made weeks ago, before the Christmas Day bombing attempt. It was not clear why Brennan seemed unwilling to repeat those statements during his TV interviews Sunday.
While Republicans and some security analysts have expressed skepticism about Yemen’s ability to keep returning Guantanamo prisoners out of trouble, Brennan has said that the U.S. worked closely with Yemen’s government to obtain such assurances for the men returned last year.
The White House’s announcement of a halt to further releases to Yemen drew immediate fire from a legal group which has represented Guantanamo detainees.
“Dozens of men from Yemen who have been cleared for release after extensive scrutiny by the government’s Guantànamo Review Task Force are about to be left in limbo once more due to politics, not facts. Many are about to begin their ninth year in indefinite detention,” Vince Warren, executive director of the Center for Constitutional Rights, said in a statement. “Halting the repatriation of Yemeni men cleared by the Task Force after months of careful review is unconscionable.”
Did you like what you read here? If so, please be kind enough to donate to support the cause (click HERE). It takes time and money to create a website like this and I love doing it so anything would be very much appreciated. And I’ll personally email you a free thank-you gift in return – my 214 page ebook about debt, credit, bankruptcy, investing and much more!